FFmpeg is a free and open-source command-line tool that can help users transcode multiple files to other formats with high quality preserved on different platforms like Windows, Mac, and Linux. Just enter the command line to process the format conversion. But if you are not familiar with the command line, you may fail to convert files with the wrong command. So this post offers a guide to help you successfully convert FFmpeg TS to MP4 with FFmpeg.
Follow the steps below to convert TS to MP4 FFmpeg:
Preparation: If you haven’t download FFmpeg before, you can get the latest FFmpeg for Windows, Linux, or Mac with this site: https://ffmpeg.org/download.html
(The following will take Windows as an example)
Hover over the Windows logo and select “Windows builds from gyan.dev”. Then you can find the latest version of FFmpeg and click to download the full build.
After downloading the .zip file, right-click it and choose “Extract Here”.
Rename the extracted folder to "FFmpegTool" and save the whole folder in C drive.
In the Windows search bar, input “system variables”. In the pop-up System Properties window, switch to the “Advanced” tab and hit “Environment Variables”.
Move down to find the “Path” tab in the “System variables” section. Select it and hit “Edit...”.
Then click “New” to add FFmpeg to it. Hit OK to save the settings.
For example, C:\ffmpeg\bin.
Now, let’s go throught the TS to MP4 FFmpeg conversion.
Step 1. Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard and enter “CMD” in the search box. Hit “OK” to bring up the Command Prompt.
Step 2. Now, type in “cd” and “cd FFmpegTool” one by one to enable you to access the FFmpegTool folder.
Step 3. On the Command Prompt window, enter “cd bin” and “ffmpeg.exe” one by one.
Step 4. Now, enter the command below to convert TS to MP4 using FFmpeg.
ffmpeg -i filename.ts –c:v libx264 filename.mp4
Then, press Enter key to activate the conversion process. The converted MP4 video will show in the same directory as the original one.
By using different commands, you can use FFmpeg to extract the audio from TS video, compress video file size, cut, and crop video, and more. But if you feel it too difficult to convert files with FFmpeg or fail to make FFmpeg convert TS to MP4, you can continue reading to find some easier way than FFmpeg TS to MP4 conversion
Feel confused with the command language and want to try an easier tool to convert your TS video files? Have a look at WonderFox HD Video Converter Factory Pro, a Windows-based video converter that is highly recommended for its simplicity and multi-functionality. With it, you can finish the TS to MP4 conversion in just 3 simple steps. Not just MP4, you can also use it to convert TS to MOV and other 500+ formats without effort.
Other video and audio processing features like audio extraction, file size reduction, cutting, etc. can also be done with a few simple clicks. You can even use it to download online videos, capture screen activities, and do more.
Launch HD Video Converter Factory Pro and enter the “Converter” module. Press the “+ Add Files” or “Add Video Folder” button to load your TS files. You can also drag and drop the source files to the workspace.
(HD Video Converter Factory Pro supports batch conversion, so you can load multiple TS files and start conversion simultaneously.)
Hit the format image on the right side of the interface to open the output format library. Head to the “Video” tab and select “MP4”. You can surely choose other formats if needed.
(If you want to save storage space, you can choose “H265 for MP4” to convert TS to MP4 with quality preserved and a smaller size.)
In the “Parameter settings” window, you can modify the video output settings, including the codec (video and audio), resolution, bitrate, frame rate, aspect ratio, and more. You can also just leave it by default. The Smart-Fit offers the optimal output settings for you.
Click the inverted triangle button at the bottom of the program to specify an output path for the exported files. Finally, press “Run” to start the conversion.
Besides HD Video Converter Factory Pro, there are many free video converters that can help you convert TS to MP4 without issue. So this post also shares some offline and online programs that can perform the TS to MP4 conversion for free.
This tool is the free version of HD Video Converter Factory Pro, which also supports all file format conversions. Although free, it has no limit on the file size and length. It also can perform the conversion without losing quality. You can also use it to edit and compress videos, modify video resolution, etc. But Free HD Video Converter Factory does not support batch conversion or hardware acceleration, so it is not advisable to use it for large and multiple file conversions.
You can convert TS to MP4 with the Free HD Video Converter Factory as follows:
1. Open Free HD Video Converter Factory, then open it. Enter the “Converter” window and click the “+ Add Files” button to import TS videos.
2. Head to the right side of the program and click the format image. Select “MP4” under the “Video” tab in the output format library. If needed, you can also customize the video settings in the “Parameter settings” window.
3. Specify an output folder and click “Run” to start conversion.
VLC is a powerful media player that also enables users to convert video media files. Other features like editing, recording, etc. are also provided. If you have VLC on your desktop, you can definitely use it to start conversions without downloading other conversion tools. However, as VLC is not a professional video converter, the conversion speed is slow compared to professional video converters like HD Video Converter Factory Pro. Moreover, it may occur some issues with the conversion, such as converted files with no audio, VLC audio not syncing, etc.
Steps on VLC TS to MP4 conversion:
1. Open VLC and click on “Media” > “Convert/Save”.
2. Press the “+ Add” button to import the TS video, and then click “Convert/Save” at the bottom of the interface.
3. Under the Profile section, choose (Video – H.264 + MP3) MP4 as the output format.
4. Hit “Browse” to specify a destination folder. Finally, press “Start” to initiate the file conversion.
Get VLC Media Player here: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/
As an open-source video transcoder, HandBrake allows users to convert almost all video files, including DVD and Blu-ray video, to MP4, MKV, and WebM with popular video and audio encoders. So you can also use it to change video in TS to MP4 or other formats. HandBrake also integrated with some simple video editing tools that enables you to trim and crop videos.
Check HandBrake convert TS to MP4 tutorial below:
1. Run HandBrake and click “Folder” or “File” to import a folder with multiple TS files or a single TS video file.
2. Choose MP4 under the “Summary” > “Format” tab. (You can then go to the “Video” and “Audio” tabs to customize parameters like encoder, framerate, bitrate, etc.)
3. Click “Browse” to select a file location for the video, then press the green “Start Encode” button to initiate the conversion.
Get HandBrake with this site: https://handbrake.fr/
Convertio is an online tool that allows users to convert TS to MP4 without downloading any software. Not only convert video files, this online video converter also enables you to customize the video and audio parameters and cut video files. But like most online converter tools, Convertio limits the input file size to 100MB.
Convert TS to MP4 with Convertio as follows:
1. Open your web browser and access the online tool with this link: https://convertio.co/ts-mp4/.
2. Click on “Choose Files” to add the TS video. (Convertio also enables you to import videos from your Dropbox or Google Drive account.)
3. It will automatically select the output format as MP4, and you just need to click “Convert”.
4. Finally, download the file to your local drive.
Another online video converter you can give a try is CloudConvert. It is a popular online tool that can help users convert various types of files like video, audio, image, document, etc., to a wide array of formats. This online converter offers a larger size limit for you to import videos but restricts free conversions to 25 per day.
Simple guide on CloudConvert TS to MP4 conversion:
1. Enter the CloudConvert video conversion page with this link: https://cloudconvert.com/ts-to-mp4.
2. Click “Select File” to import your TS videos. This online tool also supports adding files from Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.
3. Press “Convert” to start the conversion. (You can click the wrench icon to modify the video.)
4. Download the converted files to your local drive.
The above is all about how to make FFmpeg convert TS to MP4. If you find FFmpeg too hard to get started, you can also try other FFmpeg alternatives. The programs mentioned in this post are all easy to use, so just feel free to choose one and start converting.
BTW, HD Video Converter Factory Pro is highly recommended for large and multiple file conversions. Other features like editing, downloading, recording, etc. are also worth a shot!
Thanks for reading till the end. Have a nice day!
WonderFox DVD Ripper Pro
WonderFox DVD Ripper Pro is a professional DVD ripping program that can easily remove any DVD encryptions and rip DVD to all popular formats including MP4, MKV, MP3, WAV, H264, H265, Android, iPhone, etc. without a hitch. It also lets you edit and compress DVD videos at high efficiency. Download it to enjoy the fast and trouble-free DVD ripping experience.
* Please DO NOT use it to rip any copy-protected DVDs for commercial use.