To start cropping videos in Davinci Resolve, you should download and install the video editing app on your computer. Just go to the official website of Davinci Resolve to download the version that is compatible with your operating system, Windows, Mac, or Linux. (Before downloading the software, it will ask for your information like your name, email, phone number, etc.)
Now let’s get started with how to crop video on Davinci Resolve.
Step 1. Launch Davinci Resolve after the installation
Step 2. Go to the top menu bar and select “File” > “Import” > “Media” to add the video you want to crop.
Step 3. The added video will be added in the “Media Pool”, and you need to drag and drop the video into the timeline.
Step 4. Now you can crop your video in DaVinci Resolve. (DaVinci Resolve offers you several different methods to crop the video for various needs. Let's check them one by one.)
This approach can help you quickly remove the black bars from the video footage. Check the steps below now!
1. Select the video in the timeline and go to the top right corner of the program to find the "Inspector" tool.
2. Choose the “Video” menu, scroll down to the “Cropping” part. Double-click it to open the detailed content.
3. Now you can crop the video from the top, bottom, left, and right as you like.
* If you don't want to lose too much video frame size, be careful to fine-tune the cropping setting.
If you want to make your video look more cinematic, then you can add a fake letterbox effect to reach your desired visual effect. This is also a way to crop the video from the top or bottom. To do this, see the following guide:
1. Head over to “Timeline” > “Output Blanking” in the top menu bar
2. Choose a fixed aspect ratio from 1.33 to 2.40 that you like.
* Note that every number lower than 1.77 will crop the video from the sides, and every higher number will crop the video from the top and bottom.
If you want to crop video without changing the aspect ratio in DaVinci Resolve, then the zoom-in option is for you. Moreover, you can use the zoom-in option to crop video without creating black bars.
1. Select the video clip in the timeline and head to “Inspector” > "Video" > "Transform".
2. Under the “Transform” > “Zoom” tab, hover your mouse over the boxes and drag to the sides to zoom in or out. (The link icon between X and Y means that they’re connected together. When you change the X-axis, the Y-axis changes correspondingly. You can disable it by tapping the icon to unlink X and Y.)
If the aspect ratio of your screen is larger than that of your video file, you can change the aspect ratio of your video to match. The steps below will show you how to change the video aspect ratio so that there are no black bars on the sides.
1. Head to "DaVinci Resolve" > "File" > "Project setting".
2. In the "Master Settings" tab, change the Timeline resolution to "Custom". Then you can change the resolution to another to make your video fit the device screen.
3. Go to "Image Scaling" and find the "Input Scaling" to change the "Mismatched resolution files" to "Scale full frame with crop". Then save the settings.
Aside from the standard methods for cropping video footage, there is one more: dynamic zoom, which can help you create movement effects to your item, such as your video object moving from small to large or vice versa. Follow the steps below to add this great element into your video.
1. Press the rectangular button at the bottom-right corner of the viewer and it will expand.
2. Select to activate "Dynamic Zoom". Then you will see a green rectangle on the viewer.
3. Drag it to the desired location and adjust the size using the white dots in the corner. It will zoom out by default, but you can change it to zoom in.
Step 5. Now you can export the cropped video.
Actually, the Davinci Resolve crop and resize video feature isn’t hard to handle, but sometimes it may fail to work or even fail to install. If you already have DaVinci Resolve installed on your laptop or desktop, it's a useful tool. Otherwise, you may frequently encounter the error message “Failed to install Davinci Resolve 18 components”, such as failing to install Blackmagic RAW player, failing to install Davinci Control Panels, and so on. Even though you successfully download and launch it, you can also receive an “error writing to file” notice during the Davinci Resolve setup, in addition to some problems during the video cropping process.
WonderFox Free HD Video Converter Factory is a 100% free and easy-to-use video & audio processing tool that can act as a good Davinci Resolve alternative to help users crop video more easily and efficiently. More than just cropping and editing video, this video editing tool can help you achieve more video processing tasks, including compression, conversion, audio extracting, and more. With the intuitive interface and self-explanatory process, all the features are easy to get started with, even for beginners.
Step 1. Launch Free HD Video Converter Factory on your desktop and open its “Converter” from the initial interface. Click the “+ Add Files” or the center “+” button to import the video you want to crop.
Step 2. Hit the fourth square icon below the video you import to open the video cropping window. You can freely drag the cursor to crop the video frame to crop out the unwanted parts. If you want to keep the same aspect ratio as the original video, you can choose the same aspect ratio under “Fixed Aspect Ratio”. Then drag the cursor to select the desired part. Fine Tuning can help you crop videos more accurately. Click “OK” to save the change.
Step 3. If needed, you can press the format image on the right side to choose a desired output format under the “Video” category. But it is recommended to keep the same format or choose a format that supports the original video encoder to crop video without re-encoding. But you can also choose to convert video to H265 to compress the video while maintaining high quality.
Step 4. Press the bottom ▼ button to specify an output path for the converted files. Finally, click “Run” to finalize the process.
Crop videos with DaVinci Resolve can be an easy task if you only demand basic video editing. But you may be confused by the different ways to crop and export videos. That’s why we recommend a simpler video cropper in the post. It can help beginners quickly crop the video and do other simple edits.
WonderFox DVD Ripper Pro
WonderFox DVD Ripper Pro is a professional DVD ripping program that can easily bypass all DVD encryptions and rip any DVD, be it homemade or commercial, to all popular formats including MP4, MKV, MP3, WAV, H264, H265, Android, iPhone, etc. without a hitch. It also lets you edit and compress DVD videos at high efficiency. Download it now and digitize your DVDs for playback and backup!
* Please DO NOT use it to rip any copy-protected DVDs for commercial use.